An American with an English gentleman was viewing the Niagara Falls, when he said to his friend: “Come, and I’ll show you the greatest unused power in the world.” And taking him to the foot of Niagara Falls, “There,” he said, “is the greatest unused power in the world!”
“Ah, no my brother, not so!” was the reply. “The greatest unused power in the world is the Holy Spirit of the living God.” How true!! Jesus in His earthly ministry was dependent on the Holy Spirit. And He taught His disciples about the role and incredible power of the Holy Spirit in John chapters 14, 15 and 16.
16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.
1. He is referred as “another Advocate”.
2. He will come to help you.
3. He will be with you forever.
4. He is also called “the Spirit of Truth”.
5. You can know Him.
6. He will live with you.
7. And He will be in you.
But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.
8. He will teach you all things.
9. He will remind you of everything Jesus has said to you.
When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me.
10. He will testify about me (Jesus).
7 But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. 8 When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 about sin, because people do not believe in me; 10 about righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; 11 and about judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.
13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.
14 He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you. 15 All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will receive from me what he will make known to you.
11. Jesus sent the Holy Spirit after His ascension.
12. He will (reprove/convict) prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and Judgment.
13. He will guide you into all truth.
14. He will not speak on His own.
15. He will speak only what He hears.
16. He will tell you what is yet to come.
17. He will glorify Jesus.
18. The Spirit will receive from me what He will make known to you.
What a precious Gift we have in the person of the Holy Spirit! We need a fresh revelation of the Holy Spirit in our lives. He comes to dwell within us and enable us to be more effective in our lives and witness.
“Come Holy Spirit, I Need You”