Exams! Exams! Exams!
We have entered into the third month of 2017. We can feel the warmth of the summer setting in, but at the same time there is a chill that runs down the spine! Yes you guessed it right. It’s also time for exams!!! It causes great anxiety for both the parents and children.
I was amused at an answer a little boy gave his mother when she asked him how he fared in his exams- ‘They gave me the questions which I don't know, so I wrote answers which they don't know!!’
Remember it is important that you do well in exams as a child of God. James1:5 says, “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.”
Did you know that doing well in exams and excelling in academics is the will of God for each one of His children? Ask God to give you the spirit of excellence. Bible talks of young people in the Bible like Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego who excelled in the responsibility given to them. They are a good example of how to stand up for the test. The Bible says Daniel and his compatriots proved to be the wisest of all the trainees and at the end of their training they entered the service of King Nebuchadnezzar.
Daniel 1: 19 & 20 The king talked with them, and he found none equal to Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego; so they entered the king’s service. In every matter of wisdom and understanding about which the king questioned them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and enchanters in his whole kingdom.
Daniel & his friends were men of prayer. The King praised and honored Daniel’s God as the most High (Daniel 4:34-37)
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge... Proverbs 1:7
Here are some tips you can follow to have a cool exam time this year...
1. Ensure you have enough time to study: Hundreds of years have passed, millions of tomorrows have come, but still hope is alive in all students. ‘Tomorrow I will definitely start studying.’ Don’t wait each day to start the next day. Start today! Put down the number of days left for your exam and organize your study accordingly
2. Select a good space to study: Also don’t choose a place people will constantly disturb. Get all distractions out of sight. Ensure your computer games are nowhere near!
3. Draw diagrams wherever possible: Condense your revision notes into one-page diagrams. Getting your ideas down in this brief format can then help you to quickly recall everything you need to know during the exam.
4. Practice on old question papers: This will help you get used to the format and time your answers.
5. Try telling an answer aloud to your sibling: Explain an answer to your sibling who is getting bored and trying to disturb you. That will help you to get it clear in your head, and also to highlight any areas where you need more work.
6. Organize study groups with friends: Group study helps to break the monotony and also clarification of doubts that are lingering. Ensure you stay focused when you are with friends.
7. Ensure regular breaks: Take stock and check which is your most productive time. Study during that time. Regular short breaks will bring a freshness in your study.
8. Keep away from Junk Food: Eat nutritious food that will ensure your energy levels are high.
9. Plan your exam day: Ensure you reach your venue well in advance. Remember the traffic is never the same even on two days. Don’t create a panic situation.
10. Drink plenty of water: When you are well hydrated your brain also works well. Ensure you have plenty of water.
Pray & leave the rest to God!